Monday 25 November 2013

Hook Your Reader!

In our writing blocks we have been working on writing "a good hook." A hook is the opening sentence in our writing. When we write a good hook we get a reader interested in our writing so that they  will want to read on!

Last week we learned about a type of hook called "The Checklist Hook." We had a lot of fun experimenting with this kind of hook both in small groups and independently. 
Here are a few examples of this type of hook:

Soccer ball? Check. Uniform? Check. Lucky shoes to make me score?
Check. This is what happened at my soccer game this weekend.


Hat? Check. Snow pants? Check. Mittens? Check. Plenty of snow to attack my sister with snowballs? Check. Let me tell you about my adventures in the snow!

Today we learned and practiced a second type of hook called "The Question Hook."
Here are some examples of this type of hook:

Have you ever heard of a dog that could dance? Well I have one and her name is Champ!

Have you ever wondered what it's like to get stuck in a car wash? It happened to me this weekend and I'm going to tell you all about it!

As you can see these hooks require creativity and some thinking "outside of the box." Opening up our writing with a good hook really sparkles up our writing and makes it our own! 


No comments:

Post a Comment